All of us enjoy listening to music, but did you know that it is scientifically proven that music enhances our lives in a myriad of ways?
- Your musical taste is influenced by music your parents listened to when you were young.
- You enjoy a favourite song because it is related to an intense emotional experience in your life.
- Music that you really loved at age 20, you will love for the rest of your life.
- Music can lead a person to drink more, spend more and be more considerate or to act in a bizarre way.
- Rock and heavy metal music do not lead a person to commit suicide. However, listening to country music may lead a person down the road of misery. Results of a radio show analysis showed when country music was aired, the suicide rate rose.
Music helps us to relax: especially classical, so you may wish to skip pop and rock! Blood pressure readings showed that listening to pop/jazz had the same effect as complete silence. Those who listened to classical music relaxed quicker and their blood pressure dropped to normal in less time.
We think of anger in music as something negative, but emotion has positive uses also. Anger focuses on rewards, increases persistence, makes us feel in control and extremely optimistic about achieving our goals.
If you have pain and no ibuprofen, play your favourite song or listen to your favourite artist. Research showed that music reduces pain and increases pain tolerance.
Listen to music to have a better workout with more fun. You can increase your exercise distance and decrease discomfort during exercise.
If you want to get the attention of that special person, play romantic music. Research has proven that women were more likely to hand out their number to a man after listening to love songs.
Music at the office makes some people work better, yet distracts others. Music can decrease work performance – but employees are happier while they work. Background music disturbs the reading process, has minimal effects on memory, yet a positive emotional reaction.
For people with ADHD, music can help them focus better and music with positive lyrics makes them helpful and more collaborative. Music can even make you smarter as evidence showed that music lessons improve IQ ratings. Listening to classical music boosts brain power as well. Maybe this is the reason some schools have mandatory music lessons.
In summary, music provides a myriad of ways to make your life better. Most importantly, music makes us feel good. So go ahead and listen to your favourite music, it can provide some positive benefits.